Monday, January 18, 2010

Getting to know 10th CD Republican Primary candidates Bob Dold (now streaming), State Rep. Coulson and Arie Friedman, M.D.

Revised on Tuesday at 12:28 am
***********************************
Jeff Berkowitz: And, in the 10th Cong. District race, where Mark Kirk is the Republican candidate and Lauren Beth Gash is the Democratic candidate, are you making an endorsement or your preference known publicly there?

State Rep. Beth Coulson [R-Glenview, IL, 57th Dist.]: Once again, I don’t know exactly where they stand on some very important issues that are important to me and important to my constituents. So, I can’t say that I won’t, but I have not yet [as of Sep. 14, 2000].
******************************
If you missed listening to 10th CD Republican Primary candidate Bob Dold discuss the issues with Tom Roeser and Jeff Berkowitz on Roeser’s radio show a few weeks ago, not to worry, you can listen to the entire program here.

I am against partial birth abortion, I am against any form of federal funding [of abortion], I am for parental notification and I do not believe that Roe v. Wade should be overturned.” Dold pounded home his summary position on abortion a few times during the show. When this journalist pushed Dold on whether he would have voted for the specific congressional ban on partial birth abortion that passed Congress and was not overruled by the U. S. Supreme Court in the last few years, he couldn’t get an answer. Dold said simply that he had not read the legislation yet and therefore couldn’t say.

This journalist advised candidate Dold that the congressional ban on partial birth abortion provided an exception for the life of the mother but not the health of the mother. But, that was not enough to get an answer from Dold. There will be those that will be critical of Dold for not being more forthcoming. But, those folks should know that two of Dold’s major opponents (Dick Green and Beth Coulson) apparently have no interest in appearing on Roeser’s show, so we get even less of an answer from them. Also, neither Green nor Coulson will appear on “Public Affairs.” Dold did not appear on Public Affairs, but he did give this journalist a ten minute interview. See here and here.

Arie Friedman, M.D. said on Public Affairs that he is a a strong opponent of federal funding of abortion; supports parental notification laws and he would support bans on “late term abortion,” so long as they had exceptions for the life and health of the mother. [Watch here].

State Rep. Coulson committed to appear on Public Affairs in late November, 2009, but then cancelled the day before her scheduled appearance and declined to re-schedule her appearance. However, when this journalist asked Coulson on Public Affairs on Sep. 14, 2000 whether she supported parental notice, Coulson said, “I have voted as a pro-choice candidate all along. If you look at my record, I don’t believe the Government belongs in this issue…but again, I’m saying [the minor pregnant female] needs to have an adult helping them make a decision, but it may be the healthcare provider…here’s my Republicanism coming out, I really truly believe the Government should not be in those kinds of decisions in any way, shape or form.”

We also discussed on the Roeser show State Rep. Coulson’s unusual position on endorsing other Republicans, as stated here:

Jeff Berkowitz: I assume you are supporting George W. Bush as the Presidential Candidate.

State Rep. Beth Coulson [R-Glenview, IL., 57th Dist.]: I am not supporting any particular Presidential candidate.

Berkowitz: You are not? You are not supporting the Republican candidate in the presidential election?

Coulson: I didn’t say that.

Berkowitz: All right, what did you say?

Coulson: I haven’t picked. It is my private vote; just like it is your private vote. I have to wait and see where they are on some of the issues that are important to me, and, that is my personal opinion, but I also need to wait and see, and my attitude is my voters have the decision to make, so I don’t think I should endorse any particular candidate.

Berkowitz: And you don’t think you will prior to Nov. 7.

Coulson: No, I don’t.

Berkowitz: And, in the 10th Cong. District race, where Mark Kirk is the Republican candidate and Lauren Beth Gash is the Democratic candidate, are you making an endorsement or your preference known publicly there?

Coulson: Once again, I don’t know exactly where they stand on some very important issues that are important to me and important to my constituents. So, I can’t say that I won’t, but I have not yet [as of Sep. 14, 2000].

Berkowitz: But you might, before Nov. 7 [2000]?

Coulson: I suppose I might, if it would really make a difference. I am not sure that it would.

Berkowitz: Well, Beth, you carry a lot of clout in this area. I think you are underestimating what you could do. I am serious.

Coulson: I feel we have very sophisticated, educated voters and they usually want to make decisions for themselves.
*******************************************************
Berkowitz: You are a very unusual Republican candidate. I thought that… you know, the Republicans in this area tried to run, if you will, as a party; the Democrats do that, don’t you think? Do you know any Democrats who are taking the position that you are—that they have to wait and perhaps they are not going to say whom they support?

Coulson: No, see I think that I am a Republican who believes in smarter, smaller government. I believe in less regulation, less bureaucracy. If other Republicans have that same philosophy, I can probably endorse them. But not all Republicans do that.

Berkowitz: I think George W. Bush—here is a little secret—I have heard him speak, I know you have and it sounds to me, if you have to pick between George W. Bush and Al Gore, and one of your criteria is whether the candidates believe in limited government, then, you know, it is somewhat of a joke, but it is somewhat true, people are saying-- Al Gore wants a trillion dollar spending program and George W. Bush wants a trillion dollar tax decrease. Pretty stark choice there, so if you believe in limited government, as you said, less government, I assume less spending, less taxes, everything else equal, then I would think you would favor George W. Bush.

Coulson: I think that may be true, but I don’t know what he [George Bush] wants to spend it on and what they want to cut and I am not privy to the Budget in the federal government...again, to me, it is a private vote that I am going to be making. I don’t think I need to endorse a particular candidate.

From "Public Affairs with Jeff Berkowitz." The interview with State Rep. Beth Coulson (R-Glenview), transcribed, in part, above, was recorded, live to tape, on September 14, 2000.
******************************************************