Saturday, September 22, 2007

Mitt Romney on Ethics, Kjellander and the Romney campaign

Governor Mitt Romney: He doesn’t have any role in my campaign. My chairman is here [Sen. Rutherford]. My finance Chairman… he is right over here...
*****************************************
Governor Mitt Romney: …I think our Party was disappointed that when we were in charge we sometimes acted like Democrats. We spent too much. We earmarked too much. I think the Party expects leaders to abide by a higher ethical standard because they are in elected office.

Jeff Berkowitz: The Democratic National Committee today, as you may have seen, put out a press release saying, [Romney] talks ethics, and yet your stand-in in Illinois is often Bob Kjellander, a Republican National committeeman of whom the media have said, is the subject of a federal corruption investigation. [Plea agreements with the U. S. Attorneys office] refer to individual K—many think the K stands for Kjellander. In terms of this issue of kickbacks in the state pension investment program, given that and given all that has been said about Mr. Kjellander, are you comfortable having him as your “stand-in” [even though] you are talking as you are now, about the importance of changing ethics for the Republican party?

Governor Mitt Romney: Mr. Kjellander doesn’t have a role in my campaign.

Jeff Berkowitz: Has he stood-in for you at times when you weren’t there? I thought he has.

Governor Mitt Romney: No, No.

Jeff Berkowitz: So, he has no role in your campaign?

Governor Mitt Romney: No.

Jeff Berkowitz: You would not want him to have a role in your campaign?

Governor Mitt Romney: He doesn’t have any role in my campaign. My chairman is here [Sen. Rutherford]. My finance Chairman… he is right over here. I have got a lot of supporters, but I am pleased with my chairmen. [See here for more on the ever topical Bob Kjellander and how the Kjellander issue was handled by Gov. Romney five months ago].
*******************************************************
Abdon Pallasch [Chicago Sun-Times political reporter]: Mr. Kjellander was at the Straw poll where you won a couple of weeks ago down in Springfield. Do you welcome his support or are you distancing yourself from—

Governor Mitt Romney: I think I have said all I have to say on that.
*************************************************
Governor Mitt Romney, Republican Primary Presidential candidate, answering questions yesterday around 5:00 pm at a Press Conference at the Chicago Club in the Chicago Loop. [See here for a report of Romney's last presser in Chicago].
******************************************
Jeff Berkowitz, Show Host/Producer of "Public Affairs," and Executive Legal Recruiter doing legal search can be reached at JBCG@aol.com. You may watch "Public Affairs," shows with Presidential Candidates Richardson, Obama, McCain, Giuliani and Cox and many other pols at www.PublicAffairsTv.com
***************************