Saturday, September 24, 2005

Monday night Politics-- Forrest Claypool on TV: Coy on Daley

This Monday night’s City of Chicago edition of “Public Affairs,” features
Forrest Claypool
, Cook County Commissioner and candidate in the Democratic Primary for Cook County Board President. The show airs throughout the City of Chicago [in the regular “Public Affairs,” City of Chicago time slot] on Monday night at 8:30 pm on CANTV, Cable Ch. 21.

[See here]for more about Forrest Claypool, his March, 2006 Democratic primary opponents, the Republican candidate for County Board President and the current dynamic on the Cook County Board.
**************************************************
A partial transcript of Monday night's show with Cook County Commissioner Forrest Claypool [D-Chicago] is included, below.
************************************************
Jeff Berkowitz: …All right, and [you] have done a lot in terms of reform. Now, we raise these issues not to be--

Cook County Commissioner Forrest Claypool (D-Chicago): Let me say one thing, too [perhaps as a comment in response to Berkowitz’s prior questions regarding what Claypool did during his tenure as Mayor Daley’s Chief of Staff [‘89-’91 and ’97-‘98] to prevent patronage appointments in the City of Chicago]

Berkowitz: Okay.

Forrest Claypool: I did-I was in charge of personnel once. When I ran the Chicago Park District, I FIRED a thousand patronage workers-twenty five percent of the work force: Ward committeemen, politicians’ relatives, they were all affected, so if you want to look at my record on patronage reform, it’s there at the Park District!

Berkowitz: Let me ask you-let’s say Rev. [I mean] Congressman Jesse Jackson, Jr., runs for Mayor-

Forrest Claypool: And also, remember, one other thing: HDO [the Hispanic Democratic Organization, aka the Hispanic Daley Organization], Tomczack, all these guys were out working against me [in the 2002 Democratic Primary]-- when I ran for [Cook County] Commissioner, I had to beat them. So, remember that!

Berkowitz: Jesse Jr. runs against Mayor Daley, let’s say it happens, who would you support, Mayor Daley, or Jesse, Jr.?

Forrest Claypool: Talk to me two years from now and I’ll tell you who[m] I’m supporting.

Berkowitz: So, you’re not endorsing anybody [at this point]?

Forrest Claypool: I’m not endorsing anyone [now].

Berkowitz: You want the endorsement of Mayor Daley when you run? Do you want his endorsement?

Forrest Claypool: I want the support of any leader in the Democratic Party and I’m not-

Berkowitz: Including Mayor Daley?

Forrest Claypool: Of course
, and I’m- He’ll be with President Stroger-- I know that, but I am obviously out respectfully soliciting [support]--

Berkowitz: Who is David Axelrod going to be working for here?

Forrest Claypool: He’ll be working for me.


Berkowitz: Yeah? Rahm Emanuel, same thing?

Forrest Claypool: I think Rahm will be doing his own thing. He’s got his hands full-

Berkowitz: Axelrod’s working for you and the Mayor says okay, even though the Mayor is working for Stroger [to be re-elected as Cook County Board President]?

Forrest Claypool: The Mayor doesn’t have any say in it [where David Axelrod, partner at AKP Message & Media [See here] and media consultant for Mayor Daley in his many campaigns, works].
******************************************************
Forrest Claypool, Cook County Commissioner and candidate in the Democratic Primary for Cook County Board President,recorded on September 11, 2005, and as the program will air on the City of Chicago edition of “Public Affairs,” this Monday night, September 26 at 8:30 pm on CANTV, Cable Ch. 21.
*******************************
Transcript draft prepared by Amy Allen, who also does research for “Public Affairs,” and has her own political blog [See here].
******************************************
Jeff Berkowitz, Host and Producer of Public Affairs and an Executive Recruiter doing Legal Search, can be reached at JBCG@aol.com
*******************************